I’m writing to you from a small town cafe in North Carolina. Actually, I think I’m in Georgia, in a town called Blairsville. The population here in 2017 was 611, according to Wikipedia.
- I posted a flash fiction story on my blog called Finding Everen. I wrote it last year as an entry for a writing contest on NYCMidnight. I didn’t win or come even close, but I really like the setting and characters (inspired by my kids) and I think I’d like to write about them again in the future. I was going for a Miyazaki-esque feel with the whole thing. But under a thousand words.
- On the way up here, Wendy and I listened to an audiobook she borrowed from the library called At Home by Bill Bryson. We still have like ten hours left, but it’s so interesting. I thought it would be boring, but I love some of his other books, and it turns out this one is just as good. He works his way through his house giving the history of everything we currently think of that makes up a home. Did you know Thomas Jefferson was semi-vegetarian and grew and ate tons of vegetables and herbs from all over the world?
- I mentioned last month I was playing Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. I beat it, which was really cool because I’ve only beat like one or two games my whole life, but I was pretty disappointed by the ending and especially how the game plays after you win. Because you don’t. You’ll see if you play it through. I was hoping for something else, but maybe they’ll make a sequel with everything I was hoping for after the ending.
- I had to rush to beat Breath Of The Wild because of screen-free month. Last April I did a digital media fast and I wanted to do it again this year, but in March. Wendy decided to do it with me this time and we forced our kids into it too. It’s been really good for them, and sort of good for us. I did much better last year, but that’s okay. It’s still a nice break from the normal routine of random browsing and tv watching.
- Part of the reason the media fast is not going so well is because Avengers: Endgame is coming out next month and we decided we want to watch all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies before it comes out. There are like 20. So we need to start during our media fast month, which breaks our rules a little. We have 17 more to see.
What are you up to this month?